Sunday, July 4, 2010

HAPPY INDEPENDENCE DAY

I asked a Brit if he thought it was a poor idea to lose these colonies, and he just said that we never could listen to instructions. As though to jokingly say, good riddance.

It is not the British that I think about on July 4, nor the fireworks, the sales that are in all the stores, and I hardly even think about it being my country's birthday.

My thoughts go to the part of the Declaration that we recited in school about We hold these truths to be self evident, that all men are endowed by their creator with certain inalienable rights, and amongst these rights are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. Here, Jefferson talked about the people, not the government, just the people.

Later on I half memorized the last Sentence, That in defense of this Declaration with a firm reliance on the protection of divine guidance, we pledge to each other, our lives, our fortunes and our sacred honor. This part was not for the people; this part talked to our government.

I would like each President, each member of Congress, each member of the Supreme Court, to doctors, insurance companies, lawyers, and police to read and understand the promise given to me and my children and their children, to my neighbors and friends and to all of you and those near and dear to you.

While I wish all a happy Independence Day, I write this as a lament.

No comments:

Post a Comment